Yesterday, a class of amazing 3rd graders, super eager to learn to code, helped me brainstorm ideas for helping other students who might get stuck when they are coding. Here is what we came up with.
5 Strategies to Get Unstuck:
1. Test it in small pieces - Try entering only a few commands, run, add more, run, repeat until successful
2. Try, try again - Try different ideas, even going back a level and then forward
3. Shake it up or take a short break - helps you attack the challenge with fresh eyes and gets the wiggles out when you stand up and reach for the stars
4. Take a big deep breath and let it out like the North wind - relax, then attack.
5. Ask 3 before me - asking for help from a seat partner or another class expert (nice if you can identify some helpers ahead of time with coding experience. Most of the time, their moment in the sun when they help someone helps is a super proud moment for both kiddos.)
6. ? Can you add more? Please add them in the comments session
P.S. Does anyone know why Kodable is spelled with a K? Some curious 3rd grade coders want to know. They loved, loved, loved learning to code with Kodable - sequence, conditions and loops.